Gentlemen, welcome- to die!

Nerd Rage is a blog dedicated to providing original, opinion-based articles, reviews, and podcasts on the current world of video games.

Search This Blog

Click here for the latest update!

The Ten: Updated Wednesdays-Fridays-Sundays

Sunday, February 17, 2013

Come on, I can hardly keep up with this stuff! [AKA Nintendo Direct]

Well. I wasn't expecting that.
So, there was another Nintendo Direct a few days ago. It's the ear of Luigi, apparently, since we've got three major titles involving him. Luigi's Mansion had a fair bit of coverage, which really interested me, because it showed off a load of content that was really neat. But, for the most part, we really didn't need a whole presentation on it- we could have just as easily learned all of that upon purchasing the game.

However, Mario and Luigi: Dream Team was an unexpected surprise, and though the concept seems a bit strange, the Mario and Luigi series has always prided themselves on wacky situations. I've never played any of the games myself, but I intend on picking up Bowser's Inside Story before this one. I've always heard great things about the franchise, but I worry that it will be underwhelming compared to my favorite RPG, The Thousand Year Door.

Then we have New Super Luigi, and THANK GOD NINTENDO YOU FINALLY GET IT. Instead of making additional New Super Mario Bros. games, all you have to do is give us level packs- although, in the case of New Super Luigi, it's a pretty freaking huge level pack. Still, that's the right way to extend the life of a title, and I commend them for doing so.

As for the rest of the Direct, we are aware of a new Mario Golf- and, well... meh. There's also Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D coming to the 3DS, which is a port that will remove waggle, which is nice, I suppose. And then there's a bunch of cool eShop stuff, like a new Mario and Donkey Kong, Dillon's Rolling Western: The Last Ranger, and Kersploosh! I'm glad Nintendo is supporting the eShop, especially with series like Pushmo and Dillon's Rolling. I can only hope that the eShop's quality increases because of their commitment to quality.

And then there's a Zelda Community for Miiverse, which is cool, I suppose.

I don't know, I just feel as though all of these Mario centric titles are going to make the 3DS library a bit stale in the later half of 2013, unless there's a great effort by Nintendo to bring over third party titles and round out the rest of the handheld's library. As long as the hardware cannot be hacked or emulated, interest in the console will remain solid- but a hefty library will help that too. And with Japanese developers backing the system, it makes sense to establish and acknowledge these developers elsewhere. Besides, a good game is a good game, and the fact that we're getting titles like Rune Factory 4 and Project X Zone brought over shows that there is support and interest for these titles- but it's a niche market on an already niche market.

Maybe a third party Nintendo Direct this week, too? Keep your fingers crossed...

No comments:

Blog Archive