Gentlemen, welcome- to die!

Nerd Rage is a blog dedicated to providing original, opinion-based articles, reviews, and podcasts on the current world of video games.

Search This Blog

Click here for the latest update!

The Ten: Updated Wednesdays-Fridays-Sundays

Friday, September 14, 2012

LOL BAYONETTA 2. Or, let's talk about why the Wii U launch is interesting...

Fun fact: this article is NOT about Bayonetta 2.
I've attempted to go on Nintendo news forums to talk about this, but no one seems very interested. So I went to Gamefaqs, and everyone was complaining about Bayonetta 2. So I went to /v/, and EVERYONE WAS COMPLAINING ABOUT BAYONETTA 2.

The thing you people need to understand about that game is that it was not going to happen- not until Nintendo gave them a reason to finish it and publish it. Sega, the original publisher, is bleeding money and decided to downsize and focus on their core IPs, AKA not-Bayonetta. I apologize to all of you fans who loved it on the PS360, but now you're just going to have to get a Wii U to like this one. And I'm excited! I never had the chance to play the original but I was always very interested, so now I get the chance to experience it. Neat. But this is not why yesterday was so interesting. No, sir.

More important to ME, personally, is the announcement of Monster Hunter Tri Unlimited for the Wii U and 3DS. See, while I have the original game and I love it to death, I could see myself getting lost in a title that is three times as big. And I probably will. The original game had brilliant online that will probably only be streamlined, and a hefty amount of content. But this game is much larger and could be considered the "full release" to Monster Hunter Tri's "beta". But the inclusion of character transfer from Wii U to 3DS and ability for communication between the two- that's something very cool and very special, and it kinda promotes this interconnectedness that I had mentioned before even E3, I think? I mean, there's a lot of 3DS connectivity that's going to be happening with this new console and that's a perfect example of it. Also, with Dragon Quest X's 3DS character monitor, where you can see what gold and experience and quests you're sharing with others while you're not playing- I think that Nintendo is doing a great job of making these two systems coexist and supplement one another. Also, I love me some Monster Hunter, so I cannot refuse this good news.

With a launch period such as this, it's important to see what kind of games are really on display here- you have your quality Nintendo titles, your shovelware, and your 3rd party exclusives. but that's really cool- we've got exclusives for this console that really show us Nintendo's dedication to getting that hardcore base back on their side. Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge has Nintendo working alongside Team Ninja to polish and improve the game as much as possible. Bayonetta 2 is being published by them, and so is the Wonderful 101 (another game I'm totally stoked for). Then you've got these wonderfully cool ideas like Scribblenauts Unlimited and Zombi U in there, too. Sure, we have ports, and that's to be expected at a launch- they're still cool ports. I think it's a great launch lineup.

But what really gets me is the bundle plan. If you pay fifty dollars extra (!) you get a Premium Membership and 24 gigs of memory in addition to Nintendo Land (a full retail game)? I mean, the Premium Membership thing is just cool- getting credit for each game purchase that can eventually add up to cover full releases? And this is a never-expiring deal we've got going on! That's awesome, especially with how pivotal the eShop is probably going to be within the first few months of the console's release (and in general). I think Nintendo knew what they wanted to do with this console and their launch reflects exactly how they want the future to look. And so far, it's shaping up to be pretty freaking awesome. And I'm not even going to go into the whole TVii thing.

But that's my opinion. What do you think?

No comments:

Blog Archive