Gentlemen, welcome- to die!

Nerd Rage is a blog dedicated to providing original, opinion-based articles, reviews, and podcasts on the current world of video games.

Search This Blog

Click here for the latest update!

The Ten: Updated Wednesdays-Fridays-Sundays

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

GACKT.

Okay, so I started writing a "top ten" list of Wii games about two weeks ago, and there's seventy-three games on it. I know, that doesn't make sense, but it will once I actually post it. Instead, I would like to talk about some recent happenings in the gaming world.

So the 3DS XL was announced recently. Which is stupid. I mean, it doesn't need a revision, unless they're attempting to draw a more casual crowd- though that may be the case. But it just doesn't make much sense to me. I know Nintendo is trying to make a profit off of the 3DS, but a bigger version? Meh.

DLC was announced for New Super Mario Bros. 2. They're really attempting to promote the competitive aspect of the game, which I find interesting. Score leaderboards is actually a pretty good idea for Mario, and could be an attempt to invigorate the franchise in a different way, and could be a good way to promote the Nintendo Network (!!!). But we'll have to wait and see how that game goes.

Fire Emblem has been announced for North America and Europe- for 2013. This new installment has DLC, which is pretty nice. That's pretty much it on official news for the 3DS.

Oh, did I mention MUTANT MUDDS IS GETTING  A SEQUEL?! AWWW YEAH. And this one's going to have Boss Battles. That was the one thing the original could have benefited from. Oh, and better powerups, but we'll keep our fingers crossed for that one.

Also, I am now on Raid Mode in Resident Evil: Revelations, and I've gotta say, this game is probably the best outing on the 3DS I own. That's a little bit of a risky statement, considering I own Kid Icarus: Uprising, but the amount of content and playtime RE:Rev has is awesome, especially with Raid Mode. I'm a sucker for leveling up characters and weapons- and the "chapter" settings of the game lend themselves to quick playthroughs. I'm eagerly looking forward to the Ghost Ship level, which allows you to traverse the entire boat that half of the game takes place on. Also, ONLINE Co-op.

As for the story of Resident Evil: Revelations, I was very impressed with it. I mean, sure, as a newcomer to the series, I admit it probably requires some actual knowledge of a few of the characters and motifs to fully appreciate. But for the most part, the story is easily followed, once you realize that you're not supposed to understand what the hell is going on until a certain point in the story, yourself. However, the pacing of the story is really nice- with chapters ending in cliffhangers and climaxes that make you want to continue playing. The game starts claustrophobic and escalates into an action-packed fun-fest. I mean, when you've woken up in a haunting cabin one minute and shooting a massive parasite with a chaingun the next without really feeling a change of pace- that's a really fun thing. Some of the parts are tough, and I'm not a fan of killrooms, but I never felt like the difficulty was game breaking...

I played on easy.

But I see myself wanting to go back and play the game again- especially since ammo and healing items become harder to obtain, putting a lot more strain on the player. I found myself running out of ammo and healing items several times, which probably means I need to learn how to aim. But I'm interested to try to tackle the game on a higher difficulty.

I still hate Super Mario 3D Land, though I'm now on Special World 8, attempting to collect a number of star coins and unlock the final couple of levels. I hate Shadow Mario and everything he stands for. So lame. But again, the controls and annoying jump physics are still awful.

As for Paper Mario and Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon? Well, I'd like to get both, when they eventually come out. But Paper Mario will be first, of course, and there will be a lengthy review of it. Sticker Star's mechanics seem more interesting than Dark Moon's, anyway.

Well, GACKT part 2 will cover Wii U stuff.

No comments:

Blog Archive