Gentlemen, welcome- to die!

Nerd Rage is a blog dedicated to providing original, opinion-based articles, reviews, and podcasts on the current world of video games.

Search This Blog

Click here for the latest update!

The Ten: Updated Wednesdays-Fridays-Sundays

Sunday, February 12, 2012

So, I heard Chris likes Jill... Or, let's talk about Resident Evil: Revelations!

You haven't experienced fear until you've experienced it on WATER. Also, 3D.


Okay, so when I decided to grit my teeth and purchase the Nintendo 3DS at launch, I also decided that I would support every third party release I could, just so the system, and perhaps Nintendo, could get third parties back on their side again. I've tried to stay on my game, but that just doesn't seem possible- Ocarina of Time 3D and Super Mario 3D Land are the only two 3DS games I own, aside from today's topic of discussion. Frankly, the 3DS is a strange beast- you can put a full length, complete, whole game onto this system, and even if you don't have one, you can finally link dlc to them- that's a whole new area for game developers to unlock. But the big name companies need to make their sponsored additions to the 3DS lineup, which is why we ooh'd and aah'd when we saw Street Fighter IV 3D and Dead or Alive: Dimensions. That's why they're selling individual units with snake decals for the release of Snake Eater 3D- everyone wants to get this system with the game franchise they love.

Square Enix is kinda droppin' the ball here, though- with their contribution being a rhythm game. What is that? LEt's hope they put out something interesting for their anniversary, though. Forgivable after XIII-2 was better than its original? Maybe. We'll see.

Anyway, I figured it was time to support the third party presence, and I picked up a copy of Resident Evil: Revelations. Along with a Circle Pad Pro.

...Along with a preorder of Kid Icarus: Uprising. But, that's another story for another time. I am EXCITE.

Popped together the Circle Pad Pro and my game and turned the system on, preparing for a rough experience... but there wasn't one. In fact, the Circle Pad Pro works like a charm and enhances play so much, I hope more games use it- or that we get Capcom's other works in America, like Monster Hunter TriG. But yeah, the second slider pad works very well and the buttons being next to the pad are no a bother. the added trigger buttons are really cool too.

As for the game itself, well- what can I say? It's visually awesome. The 3D is fantastic, and the in game graphics are just very smooth and fun. The style is very much like the earlier Resident Evil games- I only know this from watching other playthroughs, truthfully- this is my first Resident Evil experience. But you can tell from the camera zooms and lumbering around your enemy what's up. The partner system isn't as prevalent, and the cinematic events are very simplistic. However, you have an arsenal of cool stuff to use, with limited ammo (keyword- limited), but your genesis, AKA scan gun allows you to find hidden caches and gives you healing items on occasion. How sweet!

The game's still tough, though, and it puts a lot of tense situations onto your plate. Fending off dogs, close-quarters with ooze, and atmospheric lighting are peppered throughout episodes- only a few challenges- such as the kill-rooms- are hit and miss, and just flat out boring, relieving you of the claustrophobia of the ship segments. They buff the game's length, but not enough to be essential, so they could have been cut, or replaced with better segments. For the most part, however, it's a very stressful game- which is awesome.

This being my first Resident Evil game, I'm getting used to it, though nothing seems colossally hard.  I do not like the kill rooms, though, especially with the aiming system. But I'm enjoying it a whole lot- getting involved with the story because it takes place outside of everything- it's just a random little tale- and I like that in a game. Along with the Circle Pad Pro, the whole experience sounds like it's going to be a fun one!

But sometimes the game gets waaaay too dark.

No comments:

Blog Archive