Gentlemen, welcome- to die!

Nerd Rage is a blog dedicated to providing original, opinion-based articles, reviews, and podcasts on the current world of video games.

Search This Blog

Click here for the latest update!

The Ten: Updated Wednesdays-Fridays-Sundays

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Chat 2

The first person is me, the second is my friend.
  • Evan Baranowski
    • I just finished Skyward Sword.
  • Josh Max
    • And?
  • Evan Baranowski
    • Well, it was one helluva ride.
    • Thank god there was that save point right before the final boss battle-
    • Hot damn, that would have been so much harder without full-health.
  • Josh Max
    • Oh yeah. Ghiram fucked me up. Demise, not so much.
    • BUT OH MY GOD
    • THE FINAL SKYWARD STRIKES?!
  • Evan Baranowski
    • Other way around for me.
    • Yeah, they were pretty epic.
  • Josh Max
    • I loved the whole damn ride.
  • Evan Baranowski
    • Oh, I did, too.
    • I look forward to coming back to it on hero mode.
  • Josh Max
    • right?!
  • Evan Baranowski
    • It will be nice to take my time and play the game, instead of viciously wanting to complete it.
    • How are you doing, old friend?
  • Josh Max
    • I'm alright.
    • You?
  • Evan Baranowski
    • I'm just kinda chilling after that intense final cutscene/credits ordeal.
  • Josh Max
    • Zelda's story was a nice touch.
    • Also, thank the Goddess for Groose.
    • Talk about a god damn character arc.
  • Evan Baranowski
    • Yeah...
    • I don't know if I liked his more than Link's.
  • Josh Max
    • I mean, my Link went through the development of not being an ass.
    • I loved when he saw Zelda in the past.
  • Evan Baranowski
    • Yeah, it was really hard to not-choose the nice answers.
  • Josh Max
    • What?! You did?!
  • Evan Baranowski
    • Also, that harp minigame is bullshit.
  • Josh Max
    • My Link was a cocky ass! I loved picking answers.
    • I completely agree.
    • I fucking hated the harp.
  • Evan Baranowski
    • The inability to choose what song I wanted annoyed the hell out of me.
  • Evan Baranowski
    • And why the hell did it always flash when my hearts were low?
  • Josh Max
  • Evan Baranowski
    • I wasn't sure how I felt about Fi, either.
  • Josh Max
    • I loved her ending scene.
    • It was kinda heart wrenching.
  • Evan Baranowski
    • Eh.
  • Josh Max
    • Oh, come on.
    • And read the comic.
  • Evan Baranowski
    • It's hard for a robot to make my heart wrench
  • Josh Max
    • And agree with it.
  • Evan Baranowski
    • You want a good robot love story?
  • Josh Max
    • I got one.
  • Evan Baranowski
    • Princess Peach and the X-Naut Computer from Thousand Year Door.
    • Cared much more.
  • Josh Max
    • What about B-Mo and Jake?
  • Evan Baranowski
    • Maybe.
  • Josh Max
    • No. That's some god damn love.
  • Evan Baranowski
    • MAYBE
    • Anywho.
    • Now I have only one game to look forward to...
    • And I won't say it because you already know what it is.
    • BUT
    • I wish to have a discussion.
  • Josh Max
    • Wait, the new Sonic game?
  • Evan Baranowski
    • There is no new Sonic game.
  • Josh Max
    • There are rumors.
  • Evan Baranowski
    • I mean, Sonic 4 Episode 2 sounds righteous
  • Josh Max
    • But not for Wii.
  • Evan Baranowski
    • But it had better come out for Wii U
    • I knoooooow
    • You mean Sonic Dimensions?
  • Josh Max
    • Yeah.
  • Evan Baranowski
    • I mean, if the rumors are true, and Nintendo is helping out with the level design...
  • Josh Max
    • Jus' sayin'. . . could be cool.
  • Evan Baranowski
    • Then I have hope,
    • Also, the head of Sonic Team mentioned taking Sonic in a new direction and changing up the gameplay style again.
  • Josh Max
    • WHATWHY
    • SONIC GENERATIONS MADE ME WANT TO BELIEVE.
  • Evan Baranowski
    • Which, if they attempted to make a Sonic that was more speed/platforming, I'd be pleased.
    • Yeah, but I'm talking 3D Sonic, not Sonic 3D
  • Josh Max
    • Hm.
  • Evan Baranowski
    • Sonic Generations for the 3DS was essentially what handheld Sonic needs to be for a little bit.
    • But I think they need to change up console Sonic.
  • Josh Max
    • I dunno.
    • Sonic Colors was fun.
    • And I miss Sonic Adventure Battle 2.
  • Evan Baranowski
    • Yeah, but it was a little too segmented.
    • I want a Sonic game with a little more exploration, instead of just being a race course.
  • Josh Max
    • Like a story?
  • Evan Baranowski
    • Well, yeah.
    • I guess.
    • I mean, Sonic was almost at this point of being a story-driven game, around Sonic Adventure 2.
    • But again, those levels were very race-track oriented.
    • What I would like to see in a Sonic game would probably ruin Sonic forever.
  • Josh Max
    • Then why ask for it?
  • Evan Baranowski
    • Because Sonic deserves a less-shitty outing.
    • Honestly, I'm a little annoyed with the level design of most platformers nowadays.
    • Mario is literally just a series of obstacles with a goal at the end.
    • What ever happened to that mission structure?
  • Josh Max
    • But. . . but Peach is there.
  • Evan Baranowski
    • Whatever happened to the worlds that were big enough to explore from various angles?
    • I KNOW Peach is there.
    • But I mean, don't you remember SM64 and SMS?
    • They had a hub world that acted as a portal to other worlds that were really big and could be altered to fit the mission specifics.
  • Josh Max
    • Yeah, yeah.
  • Evan Baranowski
    • We didn't need fifty friggin galaxies in one room that each had their own level design- the game was challenging because it had so many branching paths.
    • Am I the only one who misses this?
    • That's why Epic Mickey appealed to me so much.
    • Anyway, Sonic deserves the same. Something that deals with platforming and vast environments, but also allows you to utilize his speed.
  • Josh Max
    • Like. . . a Kunckles game?
  • Evan Baranowski
    • ...No.
    • A Sonic game.
    • Am I stupid in wanting this?
  • Josh Max
    • I dunno. I can see why you would.
  • Evan Baranowski
    • I'm gonna be completely honest- I'm a fan of clever, cartoon-ish video games.
    • That's why I'm a Nintendo fan.
    • So if you can limit yourself to cartoonish graphics, you have the freedom to make well-designed games that put a lot of emphasis on skill and clever thinking.
    • That's why I like Zelda.
  • Josh Max
    • Hmmm.
  • Evan Baranowski
    • And I think there's a split right now in video games- where some companies want to make these hyper-realistic, boring brown games.
  • Josh Max
    • What about Grasshopper games?
  • Evan Baranowski
    • And then there's Nintendo, who's just like "fuck that, we're gonna keep playing with art style"
    • What ABOUT Grasshopper games?
  • Josh Max
    • I love them.
  • Evan Baranowski
    • Okay.
  • Josh Max
    • Sorry, I just caught Landorous and I'm kind of freaking out.
  • Evan Baranowski
    • Sweet!
    • Nice job.
  • Josh Max
    • I have caught them all in the Unova regian.
  • Evan Baranowski
    • Hats off to you, good sir.
  • Josh Max
    • Thank you.
  • Evan Baranowski
    • Anyway, the thing about Grasshopper games is that they acknowledge the past of gaming and also make good games for the present, that kind of alternate between stylization and realism.
  • Josh Max
    • And I love it.
    • They found a perfect middle ground.
  • Evan Baranowski
    • I mean, No More Heroes is a great title, but it's not realistic, per se.
    • By the way, Suda's got ideas for a NMH3 for Wii U.
  • Josh Max
    • Oh, I know.
  • Evan Baranowski
    • And that's almost the beauty of it-
    • It doesn't need to be realistic to be good.
    • I think some people take that for granted.
    • Especially in the current era of video games.
    • I mean, which would you rather play, a vibrant video game with a lot of cool concepts and innovative design or a very realistic, gritty game?
  • Josh Max
    • The former.
    • Obviously.
  • Evan Baranowski
    • We are of like mind.
    • But I worry that we are a dying breed.
  • Josh Max
    • It's a reality we must face. . . together.
  • Evan Baranowski
    • Do you think it's the truth, though?
  • Josh Max
    • I do.
    • Everyone wants to play CoD.
    • Same thing.
    • But that's what they want. And it sells.
  • Evan Baranowski
    • But what about what we want? Do you think that our tastes in gaming will always have a market?
  • Josh Max
    • Yeah.
    • But with a younger crowd.
    • Hopefully some of them will become devoted fans and the trend will continue.
    • But all we can do is hope.
  • Evan Baranowski
    • Then we gotta spread the word, bud.
    • We gotta keep getting the games, and hyping them up, and reviewing them, and loving them, so that hopefully the next generation will, too.
  • Josh Max
    • Or we can force it on them.
    • "LOVE MARIO OR SO HELP ME GOD."
  • Evan Baranowski
    • Well, I think that wouldn't work as well.


      This concludes this session. Enjoy.

No comments:

Blog Archive