Gentlemen, welcome- to die!

Nerd Rage is a blog dedicated to providing original, opinion-based articles, reviews, and podcasts on the current world of video games.

Search This Blog

Click here for the latest update!

The Ten: Updated Wednesdays-Fridays-Sundays

Friday, December 16, 2011

Ambassador Planning- Or, let's talk about the Nintendo 3DS...

Okay, so I was one of those chumps who bought the Nintendo 3DS on its opening night- one of those people who thought that Nintendo would pull through for us launch buyers. They kinda didn't- it's really taken them quite long to create some unique content for their own system- and that does not include simple ports of a previous game with 3D effects. I mean, don't get me wrong- some of the experiences we're going to be having on the 3DS are already proving to be wild- Super Mario Land 3D tested our perception of what 3D could be, and Kind Icarus looks fresh and exciting enough to restart the forgotten character's franchise. But when I heard that Nintendo was dropping the 3DS price... I was less than amused. I wondered how they would make up for it.

When the Ambassador Plan was revealed, I thought it was kind of a cop-out for Nintendo- 20 games, some of which I've already purchased on their other systems or already played? Bo-ring. For those of you who don't know- anyone who purchased a 3DS before the price drop was given 20 free eShop games- 10 from the Nintendo Entertainment System and 10 from the Game Boy Advance. It's not really that great of a gift if you own and NES or GBA, because the titles are pretty much the cream of the crop from both. However, the recent news (and release) of the GBA Ambassador titles won me over, and I am very thankful to have been an Ambassador now. I say that for several reasons, which I shall explain to you. It's kind of why I'm writing this blog.

I never owned a Game Boy Advance. I became much less interested in the portable video game craze when the Gamecube came out (more importantly, when I got a Gamecube), and I skipped an entire generation of portable gaming before picking things up with the DS. I did, however, pick up a dirt-cheap game called Minish Cap, because my DS was GBA compatible. I beat that game, and I loved every minute of it. But I let someone borrow it and it's now lost to the ages... I wished I still had that game. BUT no longer! It's an Ambassador title, which means my love and I are reunited!

Also, I've never played a Fire Emblem game- which is a crime, considering how hardcore of a Nintendo fan I am. I wasn't sure if I wanted to spend the money on one- I've seen a friend play through Path of Radiance, and it seemed fun- but I wasn't sure if I would be into it myself. BUT NO LONGER! I don't have to worry about spending money on one because Sacred Stones is an Ambassador title!

I love Warioland. I won't deny it. It's freaking awesome. I played Warioland 4 on an emulator and always wished I hadn't been stuck playing a version of the game that was constantly freaking out on me. BUT NO LONGER! It's also an Ambassador title.

As is Metroid Fusion.

And Yoshi's Island.

And F-Zero: whatever it's called.

So yeah, I'm pretty pleased with myself right now. Also, Pushmo rocks. I'll review that shortly.

No comments:

Blog Archive