Gentlemen, welcome- to die!

Nerd Rage is a blog dedicated to providing original, opinion-based articles, reviews, and podcasts on the current world of video games.

Search This Blog

Click here for the latest update!

The Ten: Updated Wednesdays-Fridays-Sundays

Saturday, November 26, 2011

Gary, Zii, DiDi! Or, let's talk about Webomics...

Okay, so for those of you who don't know, I'm a huge fan of a damn good webcomic. Now, when I say "good webcomic", I usually say, "Well-thought and scripted" webcomics. Now, to me, there are several subcategories within the phylum of "webcomic" that I suppose I should get into, but for now (and maybe forever, since it's a lot easier to pull these up than that "Life Hierarchy" crap), I'll list them as such:

1) Well crafted webcomics with clean, compelling art, continuous story and eventual conclusion (impact upon characters), and intellect about them.

2) Daily gag webcomics that employ little-to-no continuity and rather rely on gags with odd-mega stories.

3) Fan comics

4) Comics that imply more of an artistic flair instead of a story, or symbolic storytelling

5) Sprite Comics

6) Commentaries

And I'll leave it at that for brevity's sake. In other words, I'll definitely come back and change this shit. But that's just because of the mindset I'm in. So! When I say "damn good webcomic", I'm referencing 1 the most. Now, that's not to ay that 2-5 are bad, but they are too trait-specific to qualify as something truly fantastic in the field of digital distribution. Anywho, something you could sell in a book and it would be considered a well-made graphic novel or comic series. So YEAH.

When I started reading Menage a 3, it was a random link someone had referenced on a forum I was on- but I read the entire thing for the sake of getting to understand a work. What I found was not only a well-crafted comic that has a great art style that only grew better, but a compelling story in which things don't always work out exactly as planned. The story has characters with eventual goals and values that they struggle with on a daily basis- some of which are used from comedic effect and some for dramatic effect.

Lately, though, the narrative of the strip has been a little bit more proactive- moving things along at a speedy pace and getting to action immediately. The battle of Sonya and Yuki has been eventful and spirited, and its eventual outcome has had its fair share of anticipation and eventuality.

If what I'm saying doesn't make sense, it's best to read the comic to understand where I'm coming from. Yuki's chronic issue has been the butt of many jokes for a long time, and now, she seems to finally be coming to terms with the effects it has had on her love life, especially in relation to men and an unrequited fear of them. Each character has attempted to approach her in a different way and she is carving her own path, though it may be a little extreme- it's still a drastic choice to make for the character.

It's not only Yuki that's been getting more fleshed out as a character- Zii has finally found a steady boyfriend that she is attempting to deal with these feelings as best she can. DiDi finally has a relationship that "satisfies" her, though it's still very shallow- and Gary is trying to still be a decent guy even with the fact that both women in his life are attempting to sleep with him- or were.

In any case, I thought I'd hop online and highly recommend this comic, seeing as it really is a fine example of good storytelling. Also, I'd recommend Eerie Cuties and Magick Chicks, as both of their stories seem to be crossing and their respective universes are melting together, perhaps giving the Eerie Ctuies characters a bit more of a mature side and vice versa with the Magick Chicks characters.

I'll come back and post a little more on this subject- it seems like December is going to be a webcomic month rather than this moth's video game theme.

No comments:

Blog Archive